- ‘ Cases of rape rise to 84% in Nigeria’
- Dana air crash update: 23 aircrash victims’ families yet to receive compensation
- Mimiko inaugurates new Mother & Child hospital today
- N4.56b pension scam: Female accused hospitalised,trial stalled
- Construction workers hail FG’s decision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- Senate adjourns plenary for 1 week, dissolves to Appropriation committee.
- Blackout looms as Egbin power plant breaks down
- FMBN, NEXIM, BOA, IB lose N47bn in 6 months - CBN
- FirstBank wins Nigerian Bank of the Year award
- PDP tackles ACN over Tukur’s comments
- Electricity workers threaten strike over Wamakko
- ‘NDIC prosecuted 55 directors, staff of micro finance banks in 2011’
- Judgment in Oni’s appeal stalled, re-fixed for Jan 8
- Slain banker: Deceased had only 3 wounds -Accused’s father
- Appointments: S/West not marginalised —FCC
Eto'o risks 20-year jail term over tax evasion
THREE-TIME African Footballer Of The Year, Samuel Eto'o has been accused by a Spanish public prosecutor of conspiring to evade 3.5 million euros ($4.4 million) in taxes owed on income from his image rights when he was playing for Barcelona between 2006-2009.
Now captain of Russian Premier League club, Anzhi Makhachkala, Eto'o is accused of four tax offences, each punishable with up to five years in prison and a fine of as much as 21 million euros.
Tribunesports gathered through Reuters yesterday that the case presented by the prosecutor on June 15 asked a judge to open proceedings against Eto’o before the statute of limitations on one of the alleged offences expires tomorrow.
Eto'o also allegedly used one of his Spanish companies to deduct personal expenses, such as payments for his mortgages, furniture and expenses related to his luxury cars.
Eto'o and his club could not immediately be reached for comment.
The prosecutor also accused Eto'o's former agent, Jose Maria Mesalles, and the manager of his Spanish company, Manuel de Jesus Lastre, of the same tax offences.
Eto'o filed a lawsuit against Mesalles at a Barcelona court last year, accusing him of betraying his trust and of embezzling money.Share
Translate this site
Should the local government be a federating unit in the Nigerian nation?
- AFCON 2013: Zambia buys crowd against Eagles
- Eaglets ready for Bamako battle –Garba
- Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta vie for Balon D’Or
- National Sports Festival: Team Rivers maintains lead
- Sports Festival is for Okagbare, Osayomi - Amaju
- Boxing event, a sham - Okorodudu
- Edo skipper seeks win over Adamawa
- Drogba, Eto’o on World XI list
- Serena Williams wins player award
- NIPOGA 2013: Fed Poly Bida, votes N1.4bn for hosting