The Federal Government on Friday, condemned the attempted coup in South Sudan, as well as the consequent crisis that has so far claimed lives and properties in the country.
It said the government received with concern, news of the political upheavals in South Sudan, following an attempted coup last Sunday.
In a statement, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs noted that information at its disposal revealed that some members of the armed forces of the Republic of South Sudan attempted to effect a regime change in the Africa’s newest nation on the said day via a military putsch.
“Information further reveals that government forces were able to beat back the rebels. However, in the ensuing encounter between both sides, an estimated 500 lives have been lost and 700 others persons injured. Destruction of property on a level yet to be determined has also been reported,” the statement noted.